New Briefing Paper on small arms control and on women, peace, and security
National actors working in small arms control and on women, peace, and security (WPS) share commitments to reduce suffering, maintain peace and security, and contribute to the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yet, while these cross references are increasingly commonplace in the international policy framework, this does not often translate into harmonized references in national action plans (NAPs) on WPS and small arms control.
Meaningful Partners: Opportunities for Collaboration between Women, Peace and Security, and Small Arms Control at the National Level—a new Briefing Paper from the Small Arms Survey’s Gender-Responsive Arms Control project, led by Gender Coordinator Callum Watson—identifies potential avenues for future work to better harmonize efforts related to WPS and small arms control, and improve the effectiveness of both policy areas in achieving their objectives.
For more, check out:
- The Women, Police, and Insecurity Agenda: Argentina's Response to Surging Femicide and Domestic Gun Violence by Its Security Forces—a blog that discusses the alarming rise in gender-based violence and domestic violence in Argentina, and the government’s response to it
- Driven into their Arms: Exploring Gendered Motivations of Violent Extremism—a blog post that explores complex gendered nuances behind violent extremism
- Gender-responsive Small Arms Control: A Practical Guide—a handbook that provides a roadmap for mainstreaming gender into the small arms project cycle
- The Gender-Responsive Arms Control page
- Outputs discussing gender dynamics regarding firearms in our Resource Library
Other news from the Survey:
- New Briefing Paper on the arms, ammunition, and explosives used by extremist groups in Mali
- New Briefing Paper on arms transfers to Afghanistan between 2002 and 2021
- New Situation Update on how the war in Ukraine has affected civilian perspectives on firearm possession
- New INSIGHT papers on illicit firearms ammunition and other explosive munitions, and privately made firearms (PMFs) in the European Union
- New update to the Global Violent Deaths (GVD) database