Please see below for the Survey's current vacancies. If none are listed, we encourage you to check back in at a later date.
Weapons and Ammunition Management Training Expert (two positions)
Period of contract: Consultant contract (34 months)
Activity rate: 80-100%
Deadline for applications: 8 November 2021
General description of the position
The Small Arms Survey—a global centre of excellence whose mandate is to generate evidence-based, impartial, and policy-relevant knowledge on all aspects of small arms and armed violence—is seeking a Weapons and Ammunition Management (WAM) Training Expert to support implementation of phase 2 of the European Union (EU)–League of Arab States (LAS) Project on illicit small arms (2021-24). More information on: EU Council decision. The consultant will be based in his/her country of residence.
Mission and activities
- Implement the WAM-related components of the EU-LAS project and other Small Arms Survey projects.
- Assess the WAM-related needs of LAS member states, and other countries and stakeholders (e.g., peace operations).
- Develop training courses and longer-term programmes that address the WAM-related priorities and needs of LAS member states and other countries.
- Train relevant officials, in particular those working at the operational and technical levels, on all aspects of WAM to a high level of expertise in accordance with international standards (e.g., IATG, MOSAIC, OSCE documents).
- Train relevant officials to train others on WAM in accordance with the same standards.
- Support the development of national training curricula through the provision of relevant expertise and documentation.
- Provide other forms of WAM-related expertise and assistance to LAS member states, and other countries and stakeholders.
- Support Small Arms Survey project development, implementation, evaluation, and outreach through the provision of WAM-related expertise and assistance.
- Assist with WAM-related project reporting, including the documentation of best practices and lessons learned in the course of project implementation.
- Prepare, or help prepare, new WAM-related project proposals.
- Prepare WAM-related training materials, guidelines, and best practice documents.
- Conduct and support WAM-related research and writing for the EU-LAS project and the Small Arms Survey.
- Represent the Small Arms Survey in meetings relating to WAM and/or conventional arms control.
- As needed, provide other WAM-related assistance to the EU-LAS project team and other Small Arms Survey staff.
- At least 10 years of professional experience reflecting: a) demonstrated expertise in WAM, including experience supporting or running field-based programmes; b) expert-level knowledge of multilateral standards, guidelines, and best practice documents relating to WAM; and c) experience designing and delivering training courses, including ‘train-the-trainer’ courses
- Experience working with governments and multilateral organizations on WAM-related activities and programmes (policy makers and practitioners)
- Proven ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with governments and multilateral organizations at both senior and operational levels (policy makers and practitioners)
- University degree
- Knowledge of conventional arms control processes, especially global processes, and security issues affecting Arab states, an asset
- Excellent English, written and spoken; written and spoken Arabic and/or French, a strong asset for one of the positions
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills
- Ability to independently conceive, structure, and draft high-quality written outputs
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to work effectively, as part of a team, in a multicultural and multilingual environment; good interpersonal skills
- Good organizational skills; ability to set priorities and work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to fulfil assigned tasks within demanding timeframes
- Ability and willingness to engage in extensive travel to the Arab Region and Europe
- Willingness to help with administrative tasks, in particular in connection with travel.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, marital status, disability status, race, national origin, color, gender, sexual orientation or religion.
Please note that offers received by post won't be considered.