Women’s Meaningful Participation in Ammunition Management: insights from women ammunition management experts
Tuesday 14 February, 2023 |
8:15-9:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada) | 14:15-15:30 CET | 18:45 - 20:00 Indian Standard Time
This webinar will take place as the Open-ended Working Group on Conventional Ammunition meets for its third substantive session to discuss a new Global Framework for Through-life Conventional Ammunition Management. In previous meetings, many States have highlighted the importance of gender mainstreaming ammunition management policy and practice and the equal, full and meaningful participation of women in through-life conventional ammunition management.
In 2022, under the UN SaferGuard programme, the UN Office for Disarmament Affairs initiated a network of women ammunition management experts to promote more diversity in this field and to make women more visible in technical ammunition management roles at the international level.
This event will provide an opportunity to hear members of the network discuss:
- what kinds of barriers to meaningful participation women in ammunition management face;
- how these can be overcome in practice;
- what more can be done to promote women's meaningful participation in ammunition management, including through international cooperation and assistance within the scope of a future Global Framework for Through-life Conventional Ammunition Management.
- Ambassador Maritza Chan-Valverde, Permanent Representative of Costa Rica to the United Nations
- Hans Almoslechner, Deputy Permanent Representative of Austria to the United Nations
- Shena St Mark, Royal Saint Lucia Police
- Sherry Oake, Department of National Defence, Canada
- Lt. Col. Preeti Kanwar, Indian Army
- Lina Castillo Mendez, UN Mine Action Service, Colombia
- Nora Allgaier, UN Office for Disarmament Affairs
- Callum Watson, Small Arms Survey (facilitator)
Available resources on this topic
- Working papers on gender and security sector governance
- Small Arms Survey:
- UN SaferGuard